Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Thrihnukagigur - The Hike Out

The bus driver took us up to a lodge, and then we had to hike 45 minutes out to the base camp (where, incidentally, they served all-you-can-eat lamb stew. Yummy!) The hike went through some mountains, across a snow-covered lava field. Let me say that one more time - a snow-covered lava field. How epic does that sound? Because to me, the phrase sounds pretty epic.

Anyway, when we arrived, they offered us these bright yellow wind coats for the hike, and because I learned my lesson from the whaling trip, I snatched one up right away.

Anyway, here's the snow-covered lava field:


Admit it - that looks pretty awesome. The trouble is, though, that it was hard to see the path. It was marked by some red flags, and of course people who had been there before, but when you have your eyes on the snow to make sure you're stepping on snow you won't sink into, it can be easy to look up and realize you're off the path. But nobody got lost, because the guides were really good.


We were really glad to find these paths, because walking on snow can be tricky.

Anyway, then we reached the base camp, warmed up on delicious lamb stew, and then got fitted out to descend a window-cleaning elevator into the mouth of a dormant volcano.

You can see I'm not wearing my yellow anti-wind coat. That's because the harness around my waist has to be clear to clip to a cable in the elevator in case I lost my footing. 


This is from right outside the entrance.

And, this is the bridge out to the elevator.

No comments:

Post a Comment