Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Monday, October 5, 2015

Reykjavik - Whale Watching!

Remember how I said my adventures took on a different tone when I got to Reykjavik? Here is what I meant! The tour I got on my first day (eleven hours long, by the way - because they can do that in a place that has three hours of darkness) included a tour of something called the "Golden Circle" in the afternoon and whale watching in the morning!

Anyway, here's the whale watching. We only saw a few minke whales, but we also saw dolphins doing the amazing things dolphins do!

Pictures:

Reykjavik Harbor in the morning

Picture of the mountains from the boat





Dolphins!











Here's the thing: it was May 16. So I was telling myself that, of course I had to dress warmly, but surely not ridiculously so. It's May. The boat had these body suits that were very warm and insulated, but I didn't get one at first, because it didn't feel that cold. I knew it would get colder, but I was wearing a windbreaker and three layers, so I thought I'd be all right.

I was wrong.

I got the body suit once the dolphins left:



Much warmer.

There are whales in the pictures below, but they never actually broke the surface. The minke whale is right beneath the water, and he doesn't show up very well in most of them. 









But as you can see, these pictures are hardly any good. Which is why, as soon as I can figure out how, I will upload videos! 

No comments:

Post a Comment