Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Square of Commerce

Prior to Spain's discovery of the gold in Central America, the most important way to make money in Europe was the spice trade. Getting spice from the Indies meant sailing all the way around Africa, a long and dangerous voyage. The Portuguese ship captain Vasco da Gama was the first one to navigate that voyage (video at that link.) Following his route, Lisbon became the wealthiest city in Europe by importing spice. That didn't last long because of Spain's treasure ships, but some of the grandeur of that day and age can still be seen in Lisbon's squares. The Square of Commerce is where the wealthy ship captains disembarked after their voyages.

The first pictures aren't from the Square of Commerce, but from the square closest to my hotel:









Can you tell what Church season this is in?

My dinner - Portuguese pork with delicious port. 

This is right outside my hotel, going toward the square

The arch going into the square




The shores of the Tagus River, which almost cuts the city in half






No comments:

Post a Comment