Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Reflections on My Europe Adventure

This isn't going to be my last post on this blog, because I have about five hundred pictures from Reykjavik to post, but I think this is a good time for some reflection. Mostly because, as my parents no doubt concur, my adventures took on a very different tone in Reykjavik. My trip on mainland-and-British-Isles Europe, from Italy to Lisbon, was almost exclusively about history, education, and culture, and while I definitely got that in Iceland (I can't wait until I get to the post about the site of the Althing!) the overall tone of my time in Iceland was a little ... well, you'll see.

Like I said in my last post, I was definitely thinking that Lisbon was the place to end my main adventure. The Monument is still one of my clearest memories, and everywhere you look, there are reminders of the age that America as we know it has its roots in.

Some things in general that I learned:

  1. If you're smart, you'll be fine traveling by yourself. 
  2. If you can, get hotels/hostels that offer complimentary breakfast. Even if you have to pay a little more, it will definitely be worth it.
  3. You know how they say we in America have been blessed by peace? We definitely have been. The last time there was a serious war that touched a state, at the time, was in 1865, a hundred and fifty years ago. Germany, by sharp contrast, was absolutely leveled by war twice in about thirty years (WWI was 1914-1918, and WWII was 1939-1945.) You can see that in Munich, because in the middle of all these old, old buildings, you'll suddenly see a building designed in the 60's to replace a building that was destroyed in the wars. In Italy, the historical caves in Orvieto were transformed into bomb shelters. Southern England was ravaged by WWII. In Croatia, there was a war for independence in 1994. For some perspective, that is the year I was born. They last had a war 21 years ago - compare that, if you will, to 150. Yes, we had the attack on Pearl Harbor, and on two of the Aleutian Islands, but that is nothing compared to what Europe saw in WWII. Thank You, Lord Jesus, for blessing our land with peace.
Looking back at my blog posts, I can't think of any place that I regret going to. If I had to pick a least favorite, it would probably be Barcelona, but even then I was really excited to see the Sagrada Familia. As for a favorite place, forget it. I couldn't choose. So instead, here's my list of favorite places in each city or extended excursion I can remember off the top of my head:
  1. Orvieto - the Duomo
  2. Arezzo - the fresco cycle in the Franciscan church
  3. Assisi - the Basilica of St. Francis
  4. Florence - the Medici Chapel
  5. Rome/Vatican - the Papal museum
  6. Dublin - Grafton Street and the live music there
  7. Glendalough - the shores of Upper Lake
  8. Belfast - St. Patrick's Cathedral
  9. West Ireland - Cliffs of Moher
  10. Dubrovnik - the Elaphite Islands boat tour
  11. Portsmouth - HMS Victory
  12. Munich - the gold-cobbled alley
  13. Barcelona - Sagrada Familia
  14. Lisbon - Monument to the Discoveries
I know there were more places, but those are the ones that stick out in my memory. 

I remember Dublin being basically a very big small town. Every week, I'd be walking back to my room, and I would pass someone running into someone else they knew, and there would be a little reunion. I also remember people being very friendly and helpful there. Staying at the YWCA also gave me a chance to meet people from a lot of different countries, even ones that I couldn't visit. I learned a lot and had a great time.

So, to summarize, it was a wonderful time. And, just because it really is the picture that sticks with me the most, I'm going to leave this here one more time:


No comments:

Post a Comment