Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Before You Go to Lisbon...

I wasn't planning to do this for Lisbon, but what the heck.

1. Take advantage of public transportation

I was trying to cut costs as much as possible, which means I did a lot of walking that first day. I regretted it very quickly, not only because Lisbon's hills are steep and the weather was hot, but because the roads were, a) very twisty and winding, so instead of walking as the crow flies, it was more like walking through a snail shell, and b) cobbled rather than paved, and the cobbles were old and not particularly even. They do offer trams going up the hill to Sao Jorge's Castle, and there are also street elevators. Those are pretty much exactly what they sound like - elevators going between streets - brilliant idea. Then there are the Greyhound bus tours, which are definitely worth the money.

2. Ladies, if you're wearing a sundress, wear leggings and a light jacket

I have two reasons for saying this. The first could actually apply to pretty much everywhere I went, but I didn't really wear too many sundresses until I got to Barcelona and Lisbon, so I didn't really think about it: a lot of these places you go to are practicing religious houses as well as museums and tourist attractions. Some of them require women (and men, incidentally) to have their shoulders covered, but even in the ones that don't, it's always better to show a little extra respect and modesty in places where people go to worship God. I carried my leggings and jacket in my purse. 

Most of the fun stuff in Lisbon is either on a hill or by a really wide river with a seaport. These places are known to be windy - especially on the top of the Belem Tower or the Monument to the Discoveries. (I mean, it's supposed to feel like you're on top of a sailing ship - it's supposed to be windy.) I would definitely not recommend wearing jeans, because you will likely melt if you do, but be aware that there is wind in places where sailing ships left from, and wind makes things a little chillier. You may want to be able to put on a little extra covering.

3. They have fantastic beverages 

Obviously, they have port (a really expensive Portuguese dessert wine that you can get at any street side cafe or restaurant in Lisbon for about 4 euro a glass if you're 18) but everything else they have is tasty, too. Their water is good, their juice is good, but especially - and you're going to think I'm crazy for saying this, but it's true - their coffee is good! Why? Well, because it (as well as most of their juice) comes from Brazil. Remember, the Portuguese settled Brazil, and a lot of Brazilian stuff got back to Portugal, and it's still getting back there. Brazilian coffee is delicious. I shouldn't downplay the stuff that came from Portugal itself, though, because that was also swoon-worthy. Seriously, when you go there, it might be worth ordering a couple of different beverages with your meal, because there's a lot of variety and it's all pretty good!

4. They speak English there

Kind of like Croatia, I didn't come across anyone I couldn't communicate with.

5. People are very nice, and it's very safe

I walked into a cafe right when they were closing, and once I realized they were closing I started to leave, but the servers insisted that it was fine and I should stay and have the glass of wine I went there for. Then I was out really late at night - almost until 11 PM - because everything was so well-lit, and the streets were all trafficked but not crowded or mob-like or anything, and I never had a problem.

6. Food is pretty cheap

It's not cheap at all in Barcelona, but in Lisbon, you could get a sizable meal and a drink for under five euro at a couple of places. Other places were pricey, obviously, but I think in general, Lisbon had the cheapest meals of any place I stayed at. 

Also, like I said earlier, Lisbon is a place of feeling. You can feel the importance of the Explorers, and you can feel the art poured into the place. Definitely, a must-go if you get the chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment