Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Friday, January 9, 2015

Luggage Scramble

For whatever reason, the suitcase I checked didn't make it to Rome from Frankfurt. I had a nightmare of a time contacting the airline and getting help, and because this week was Epiphany, which is to the Italians what Christmas is to Americans, there were no deliveries on the 6th. Of course I was worried about my stuff, and I spent a lot of time trying to distract myself from thinking about it all, but by yesterday I was at the point where I just wanted to scream.

Fortunately for me, however, yesterday was also the day of our visit to Assisi. For those who don't know, Saint Francis of Assisi founded the Franciscan Order, a religious group of friars which stresses humility and poverty. Francis himself lived the life of a beggar. Wandering around his town yesterday really put my missing suitcase into perspective. By the time my group got back from Assisi, the clothing stores in Orvieto were closed and I was resigned to spending the next day without any fresh clothes. However, thinking of St. Francis reminded me that no matter how frustrated I was - and I was very frustrated - God was still taking care of me.

On the way back to the hotel, my roommate Erika and I met two of the other girls in our group, and they told us that my suitcase had finally been delivered. We got back to our room, and sure enough, there it was. Thank you Lord God for ensuring that my luggage followed me safely. More importantly, thank You for the joy of visiting Assisi and being reminded of St. Francis' lessons.

Okay - pictures later today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment