Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Day 4 - Assisi

I believe it was D. H. Lawrence who said no city is more drenched in holiness than Assisi. This is, of course, the birthplace of St. Francis, the friar who founded the Franciscan Order and is possibly more famous for loving nature. After having been to Assisi, I can't say I'm surprised he was so fond of the created world, because even though there are three magnificent churches, a wall, and many marvels of architecture, the city itself practically forces you to look at nature. I'm going to upload pictures a little differently on this one. First, I'm going to show all the pictures of the man-made beauties, and then I'm going to upload pictures of the views that, I thought, must have shaped Francis to be a man close to nature.


The fort at the top of the town. We didn't climb up to it.

The Basilica of St. Francis

The front of the Basilica

Another view of the Basilica

Another Basilica - I can't remember if it's St. Clare's or a different one... I'll have to ask my professor.





 And now the views:


This is from the Basilica of St. Francis. In spite of the fact that I'm not sure he would appreciate a huge church built in his honor, I bet he would really like the location.












No comments:

Post a Comment