Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Friday, January 16, 2015

Day 7 - The Necropolis

Necropolis is Greek for "the city of the dead." There are two of them in the area around Orvieto, and we visited one. The Etruscans laid out their cemeteries to look like cities - hence the name - because, according to Dr. F., they believed any city they built for the dead would correspond with a city in the afterlife. We went in the afternoon, and it was spooky. I would never walk down there at night!

Pictures:










See the weird ribbing in the ceiling?

This one had such a steep entrance that I was the only one brave enough to go in.





3 comments:

  1. That is a really steep entrance. What is it, a fifty foot drop?
    Ha, I can imagine one of the boys at my church just hopping down there like it was nothing. There's a railing outside of our church that he will go over, then jump the nine billion feet down to the ground below, landing perfectly with cat-like talent. Based on the crazy things he does, and the crazy things that happen to him, the fact that he's alive is due to a series of miracles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about a six-foot stairway, at an angle of about 70 degrees to the ground. It was pretty dark inside; all those pictures were taken with a flash.

      Delete