Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Monday, March 16, 2015

Belfast, Northern Ireland - with disclaimer

I have a few posts from previous days to upload, but I'll do those later. Today my friend and I went to Belfast in Northern Ireland, and I want to write it all down before I forget anything.

When I was on the bus for Belfast, I was expecting it to be a city much like Dublin. I did not expect it to be especially distinctive. I was wrong. In fact, I'm not sure I could realistically have been more wrong. Belfast is so different from Dublin I could barely believe the two cities are only two and a half hours apart.

I can already hear some people asking, "What did you expect? Seattle and Portland aren't much farther apart, and they're both pretty distinctive." True, but the differences there aren't the same as the differences between Dublin and Belfast.

There are several major distinctions that I noticed, and all of them are fascinating enough to me that I'm going to give each one its own separate post. Brace yourselves - Belfast is about to beat out Rome for the most number of posts dedicated to it.

Here is my disclaimer: I only spent six hours, give or take, in Belfast, and I didn't really talk to any of the locals about the differences between Belfast and Dublin. These are all my own observations, as well as some Wikipedia research - and we all know that Wikipedia is always right, right? The point is, this was my first time to Belfast, after having heard little to nothing about the city in advance, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment