Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Monday, December 7, 2015

Story of the Sweater...

Remember how I mentioned that winter in Italy and Ireland didn't really prepare me for May (freaking May) in Iceland?

(Holy cow, was I really in Italy eleven months ago as of last Friday? I can still remember clear as crystal when I landed in Rome and when we drove out to Orvieto.)

Anyway, before I landed in Reykjavik, my parents told me to get myself a wool sweater while I was there. I thought about it, but those things are expensive! So I told myself I would wait a few days to see if I really needed it before the grand finale experience (which I will get to soon.)

Like I said, the first day with the whale watching and the Golden Circle, I was cold. But it wasn't something I couldn't handle, and I also wasn't wearing my warmest clothes. I'd left my scarf behind (that was dumb) and wasn't wearing my warmest shirt. So I decided I'd see about the volcano.

Well, on the hike out to Thrihnukagigur (still copy-and-pasting) I wore more warm clothes and I was fine. I thought, Okay, I don't need a sweater. Then we got down into the volcano, and... yeah, I decided I needed a sweater. I mean, I was okay inside the volcano, but in an event where I was not moving at all and exposed to wind chill... yeah, I needed a sweater.

So on my day in Reykjavik, I bought a beautiful sweater. Here are some of the ones I looked at:

Love the buttons on this one

Cheap... but not very warm

Snowflakes!


Puffins!!! And a hood! But I didn't really trust the zipper.




They were all very pretty... But here's the one I went with:

That is one of my favorite shades of blue, and it's very warm. I've actually worn it a few times here in Milwaukee because it's getting cold enough now. I wonder if I should wear it to my thesis defense...

No comments:

Post a Comment