Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Portugal or China?

Because I work in China, I get two weeks off for Chinese New Year. My dear friend Adrienne came out to east Asia to visit me for those two weeks! Our main destination was South Korea, but prior to visiting South Korea, we agreed we needed to see a Chinese city during Chinese New Year.

For most Chinese cities, Americans need a visitor's visa; however, there are places called Special Administrative Regions (SAR's) that have different rules. Some of them have more requirements for visas, but some of them have less. For one city called Macau, the Chinese equivalent of Las Vegas, Americans do not need any visas.

Macau is in the southern part of China... which, historically, hasn't really been part of China for very long (well, not compared to the length of Chinese history, anyway). The city was originally founded as a trading colony by the Portuguese... and the moment I set foot there, I was stunned by the similarities between Macau and Lisbon.

Just for fun...

Look at the next pictures, and see if you can guess whether it comes from A) Macau, or B) Lisbon. Answers will be in the next post!


  1. First, the street scenes:















Have fun guessing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment