Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Sunday, July 19, 2020

Macau--China's Las Vegas!

First off, here are the answers!



Lisbon

Macau

Lisbon

Macau

Macau


Macau


Macau

Lisbon

Macau

Macau

Macau


Macau

Lisbon

Macau

Lisbon
Thanks to its founding, Macau is a very historical city. Thanks to it being an SAR, it is basically Las Vegas in China. It is the only place in China where gambling is legal. They have their own currency and their own flag.

A historical site that we did not make it to (because it was crowded!!!!!) was the Moorish Barracks (because Macau was a very international city), but we did have a tour of the city and make it to two different places. Check those out in the upcoming posts!

Macau is still a very international city, and as a reference to its history, signs are still written in both Portuguese and Chinese. The blog Stained Glass Travel has a nice piece about the history of parts of Macau, but one of their pictures caught my eye:



These two names are not exactly the same. To be crystal, sparklingly clear, I know almost nothing about Chinese characters (I haven't even learned the characters for my own name), but I recognized that second character as the number 3, which does not show up in the Portuguese name. I pestered my Chinese friend for help explaining it; she explained that the last character is the word jie, which means "street", the second-to-last one means "right", and the first three are the name Da San Ba. Apparently, the Chinese name comes from the Chinese name for memorial gates and the church at the end of that road.

There's no real point to this paragraph, except to comment that translations are complex things.

No comments:

Post a Comment