Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Friday, July 17, 2020

My End-of-Japan Adventure!

I don't have pictures for this one, but it was quite a story, so let's chat about why you don't rely on cheap backpacks and cheap airlines.

I had a cheap convenience-store backpack that, at the beginning of the trip to Japan, was fine. By the end of the trip, every single one of the zippers had broken. In half. As in, the metal part of the zipper that you use to pull the zipper had broken straight through the metal. So I ended up carrying my backpack around like an open bag, with the top wide open. Fortunately, that was just on the last day from Japan to Shenyang.

As for cheap airlines...

My friend and I had found some sweet deals with an airline called Peach Airline, both going there and going back.

It turns out that different airlines need to have something called "transfer agreements" with each other, and Peach Airlines did not have transfer agreements with the various other airlines. This meant that we needed to go through customs every time we took Peach Airlines, and then go back through security every time. Not a big deal right? 

Well, here's why it was a big deal: in the Seoul airport, you're only allowed to go through security about two hours before your flight leaves. We had a six hour layover in Seoul. Six-hour layovers in Seoul aren't bad, mind you, because the Seoul airport is famous for being luxurious, with spas and napping stations and showers and all kinds of similar things. But unfortunately, all of those things are on the other side of security. So we spent four hours sitting in front of the check-in desk, with hot showers and spas and wonderful restaurants just on the other side, but there was nothing we could do about it. 

Not ideal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment