Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Temple of Artemis of the Ephesians

I'm going to call her Artemis of the Ephesians because apparently she was different from the usual Artemis. As per the experts in the group, usual Artemis was the huntress in the short tunic with the bow and arrow; Artemis of the Ephesians wears a long dress decorated in animals and other things, and carries her temples on her head.

Anyway, the Temple of Artemis of the Ephesians was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World before it was destroyed. After Ephesus, we visited the site and all that's left of it. Note that the temple isn't in the city limits.

First, leaving Ephesus:



And on to the temple site:





There was a stork nesting on top of the standing pillar:








I think it's worth mentioning that I don't know if the one pillar standing there is in situ, or as it was found, or if archaeologists re-erected it to give visitors an idea of what it was supposed to look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment