Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Barcelona!

Holy cow, had I heard a lot about Barcelona! Everyone went there, and everyone loved it. Barcelona has a long, long history - a Roman military camp in the third century BC, conquest by the Visigoths and the Moors, and of course a lot of fighting during the Spanish Civil War in the 20th century.

So... I was kind of startled when I saw that most of the city's attractions were built after WWII. 

There is the Gothic Corner which I didn't get to (because I couldn't figure out where it was,) but from what I saw and heard, Barcelona now is a center for art and architecture. The architect Gaudi is memorialized everywhere, along with artists like Picasso. A lot of the ordinary, everyday buildings are both bizarre and pretty amazing. 

I was there for two days. The first day, the day I arrived, I walked around some and looked at one church. Pictures:

All the intersections are shaped like diamonds

If there is such a thing as a typical building in the hub of Barcelona, this might fit into that category

Inside of a church

This was probably my favorite crucifix





2 comments:

  1. The light falls right on the crucifix.
    What else made that one your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just liked how all the attention was focused on the cross. In Sagrada Familia, as beautiful as that was, the crucifix was surrounded by light, architecture, etc., that actually made the cross hard to see. Here, everything is pointing to the cross.

      Delete