Adventures of a teenage author...

This is Marta, author of the Darkwoods series and of Marta's Blog. I created this blog specifically for blogging about my 2015 study abroad adventures in Europe, but it's becoming the blog for all my travels. I hope you enjoy all the pictures and stories!

Friday, January 16, 2015

Day 8 - The Vatican: St. Peter's Basilica

Remember when I said there wasn't a word to describe how big the cathedral in Florence was? St. Peter's is bigger. It is also, historically, far more historically important: it's the church that started the Reformation. In order to pay for its construction, the Pope allowed for the sale of indulgences, which led to one little German monk named Martin Luther posting 95 Theses on the church door of Wittenberg, and the rest is history.

Pictures (which, by the way, don't even come close to capturing how beautiful the chapel is):




Views from the top of the cupola - breathtaking


















Helena, Constantine's mother






For dinner that night, we went to a nice restaurant, and I decided to get a little adventurous. The pasta dish I ordered translated into "swallows' nests with pecorino and warm honey." I ordered them, and they turned out to be little cup-shaped pasta filled with cheese and honey. They were so good, I plan to have them again if I'm ever back in Italy!




No comments:

Post a Comment